Fire Risk Coverage Program
The Municipality of Potton, like all others, is subject to the requirements of Fire Risk Coverage Program imposed by the Department of Public Safety. For this reason, significant expenditures have been incurred in recent years to acquire the required equipment. Other expenses will be incurred in 2011 to continue to comply with the requirements. Indeed, $ 125,000 will be spent on the communication system and the installation of dry hydrants.In addition, for the prevention aspect, the municipality is preparing to enter into an agreement with the city of Magog which has the professional resources required for certain aspects of prevention for which we are responsible.
Finally, it is important to mention that all the expenditures related to the fire department are required to be made, otherwise in the event of a lawsuit, we will be held liable for not having carried out the implementation of measures imposed by the program.
For your information, you will find below the key elements of the Fire Risk Coverage Program.
Sections 10 and 11 of the provincial law specify the different elements that are contained in the Fire Risk Coverage Program. They are:
- the identification, evaluation and classification of risks, including, where appropriate, the risks subject to declaration;
- the identification and evaluation of existing or planned safeguards;
- the identification and evaluation of human, material and financial resources allocated to fire safety by the municipal authorities;
- infrastructure and sources of water supply required for fire safety;
- analysis of the functional relations between these resources;
- an evaluation of the operational procedures in force in the municipal fire safety;
- for each risk category listed or each part of the territory defined in the program, the goals for maximum protection against fire;
- actions to be taken by municipalities to achieve these goals;
- municipal implementation plans;
- a process of verification of the effectiveness of actions taken and degree of achievement of agreed goals.