Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question in mind regarding our services? Before calling the Municipality, the answer may be found here! Read the questions most often asked by citizens of the Municipality of the Township of Potton, followed by our answers. If your question is not in this list, contact our Citizen Services at 450 292-3313, extension 0 or info@potton.ca.


Q: Can I pay my municipal taxes online?

A: Yes, you can pay your municipal taxes online. If this is the first time that you are attempting to pay online, please log in and then go to the bill payment section. Create a new payee like you would have done for Hydro, Koodo, or Bell for example. Do a search for Canton Potton and you should find POTTON (CANTON DE) TAX. The reference number will be the file number that you see on the top right side of your Municipal tax invoice made up of 16 digits. Use only numbers, no letters, no spaces. Most banks will take 16 digits. Scotia Bank only takes 10 digits. Once you have created the new payee, then you can proceed to pay the bill like you would any other bill payment.

Q: What is my municipal assessment?

A: You can consult the municipal assessment of any property on the territory of the Municipality of the Township of Potton directly on the website of the Municipality’s assessor, the firm J.P.Cadrin & Ass. Inc. by clicking here and providing the required data.
* You will be directed to a site other than that of Potton; Please note that the property assessment and the destination portal are neither a municipal responsibility of the Township of Potton.

The firm Jean-Pierre Cadrin and associates, mandated by the MRC of Memphrémagog to develop the municipal assessment rolls, is submitting the new roll for the Canton of Potton this fall.
To this end, citizens of the Municipality are invited to watch a short video explaining that the process is governed by provincial standards. This video is available in French with the possibility of English subtitles: https://aemq.qc.ca/quest-ce-que-levaluation-municipale/

Q: My garbage bin wasn’t picked up this week. Can they come by?

A: The collection of residual materials is a service provided by an external supplier, and the Municipality therefore has no control over the collection routes. However, please contact Service aux citoyens at 450 292-3313, ext. or info@potton.ca so that a note can be placed on file. You can also drop off a bin of residual materials at the Potton ecocenter every Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. *except December 29, 2024 and January 5, 2025. (5, chemin West Hill – bring proof of residence).

Q: My recycling bin is broken. Can I have another one?

A: If your bin’s wheels or lid are damaged, you can fill out a form to have them replaced. This form is available at the Town Hall reception desk during our opening hours (Monday to Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., then 1:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.).

Q: My road is in bad condition. Can someone come and repair it?

A: This obviously depends on the severity of the road condition and the level of prioritization of the work to be carried out. It’s important to remember that during thaw periods, roads are often damaged (tire tracks in softer ground cause traffic problems, among other things). During thaw periods, the road crew works on priority roads (Peabody, Ruiter Brook, West Hill, Leadville), then continues on to other secondary roads. For any emergency, it’s important to dial 9-1-1 so that the emergency service can contact the right people to come to your aid (firefighters or others).

Q: I want to buy a property in Potton. What are the current regulations (regarding construction, short-term rentals, etc.)?

A: There are frequently asked questions on the urban planning department’s page (https://potton.ca/urbanisme/faq-permis/). Otherwise, permit applications can be found here: https://potton.ca/en/urbanism/permit-application/. Finally, the Règlement d’urbanisme can be found here: https://potton.ca/en/urbanism/urban-planning-bylaws/. If you can’t find the answer to your question, please send an e-mail to Ms. Carole Garneau, garneau.c@potton.ca.

Q: I’m moving. Who can I contact to receive my tax bill at the right address?

A: You can write to Service citoyens: info@potton.ca or call 450 292-3313, ext. 0, during normal business hours.

Q: What is the number to dial in case of emergency in Potton?

A: Potton has full 911 service. In case of emergency, dial 911 and be ready to provide a phone number as well as the address or location where you are and explain the type of emergency you are facing. Depending on your needs, the operator will route your call to the appropriate dispatch center, whether it’s for medical calls, fire emergencies, or police matters.

Q: Can I request first responders from 911 during a medical emergency?

A: The dispatch assignments for medical emergencies are determined by the details you provide to them. Therefore, be specific in your descriptions and do not minimize or exaggerate your situation. It is the level and type of urgency that will determine whether first responders are dispatched by the ambulance dispatch center. It is not possible for the dispatch center to send only first responders; if they respond to your aid, an ambulance is also automatically dispatched.

Q: When do I need a fire prevention visit?

A: According to our fire protection standards, periodic visits are mandatory, and you will be contacted for these. If you make significant changes to your home, such as adding a propane or wood heating system, undertaking major renovations, or purchasing a new property, you can contact us for any questions or to update your file.

Q: What are fire prevention visits for?

A: If the fire department contacts you for a visit, don’t worry; it’s just a routine visit. These visits are meant to ensure that your facilities are safe and that your detection systems are functioning properly. We will also gather any other information that may help us serve you better or protect you in the event of an incident. We will discuss evacuation plans and actions to take in case of emergency. We will also be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Q: What should I do with my old fire extinguishers?

A: The Municipality of Potton will accept your expired fire extinguishers at the eco-center. They will be collected by an independent service that can safely recycle them.


logo potton

To receive the Potton in brief, subscribe to our newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from the municipality.

Your registration is successful!