The Town Council creates committees to assist it in fulfilling its responsibilities.
The following committees are established by bylaw and recognized until the council repeals the bylaw. These committees have a mission, composition and operating rules established by the council. They are composed of citizens and elected officials.
Agriculture and forests
The Cœurs Villageois mission:
The Cœurs villageois Network is an original project of Tourisme Cantons-de-l’Est.
The objectives of Cœurs villageois project are to
– Create distinctive tourist experiences of the Eastern Townships by highlighting the natural, cultural and human assets of the villages of the region
– Develop residents’ pride and citizen involvement to enhance the visitor-visited experience
The achievements of 2016-2017
⊲ Designate a person responsible for tourism in the municipal administration
⊲ Form a local tourism committee that will advise the tourism manager
⊲ Maintain the tourist reception desk
⊲ Update the tourist website of the municipality including a calendar of tourist and cultural activities
⊲ Create a new road map of the Township of Potton
⊲ Arrange rest stops for hikers at André-Gagnon Park, Place de la Grange ronde and Manson Park
⊲ Have public benches along the rue Principale
⊲ Install drinking water fountains: André-Gagnon Park, Place de la Grange ronde and Place Manson
⊲ Adopt the owl as emblem of the Municipality of the Township of Potton
⊲ Create a visual screen at the intersection of rue Joseph-Blanchet Street and rue Principale
⊲ Produce a postcard of the Round Barn
⊲ Arrange “rest stops” to encourage the contemplation of certain points of view of our landscapes by hikers
⊲ Install programmable locks at André-Gagnon Park and the Round Barn public toilets.
Current projects 2018
⊲ Making of a tourist map or / and a flyer of Potton
⊲ Place a display in front of the BAT, which would be sheltered from the weather and where the tourist map could be posted and the new leaflets deposited
⊲ Improve the road signs to better identify businesses, the public market, parking lots, washrooms and rest areas.
⊲ Replace old logos with new ones on the road signs, indicate pharmacy
⊲ Project of an artistic kitchen garden
⊲ Installing a bicycle repair station
⊲ Put a staircase in front of St-Cajetan Church at street level
⊲ Beautify the village with more flowers
⊲ Plant more trees at the entrance of the village
⊲ Develop André-Gagnon Park
⊲ etc …
February 13th meeting report (in French only)
May 10th meeting report (in French only)
June 14th meeting report (in French only)
July 26th meeting report (in French only)
November 8th meeting report (in French only)
- The Coeurs Villageois Committee 2018 is made up of the following members:
• Jacques Marcoux, President
• Lakshmi Nguon, City Administration Representative, Coordinator and Secretary
• Trish Wood, City Administration Representative
• Yannick Beaupertuis, business member
• Lucie Blanchard, merchant member
• Raymond Gagnon, merchant member
• Shane Bradley, citizen member
• Lise de Foy, citizen member
• Hiro Gagnon, citizen member
• Louise Morel, citizen member
• Stansje Plantenga, citizen member
• Frank Ruiz, citizen member
• Michel Trudel, citizen member
Culture and Heritage
The committee’s task is to follow actions and guidelines named in the cultural policy and to oversee various cultural activities including the Potton annual festival.
CCPP 2018 members are:
– Gisele McNabb – President
– Suzanne de Foy – Secretary
– Jason Ball – Municipal Councillor
– Trish Wood – City Representative / Leisure, Culture and Community life
– Nathalie Laurin – City Representative / Library
– Dave Sturton – Citizen / Music
– Hiro Gagnon – Citizen / Cutural activities for kids
– Sheila Kerr- Citizen / Fine-Arts
– Sandra Jewett – Representative of the Potton Heritage Association
– Johanne Dumberry – Citizen / Music and arts
– Jean-Marc Bourgeois – Citizen / Cinéma Potton
Emergency preparedness committee
Advisory Committee on Emergency Measures of the municipality.
Leisure, families and parks
This committee regroups two sectors that come together:
On the one hand, the parks and their use, on the other hand, the families as part of the leisure services offered by the Municipality.
It is composed of :
- Jacques Marcoux (Mayor)
- Michael Laplume (Councilor)
- Patricia Wood (Recreation, Culture and Community Life)
- Ronney Korman (Manager of Public Works, Parks and Municipal Buildings)
Residual materials management
Role of the committee
Promote discussions on the economic and social development of the Township of Potton.
Review and make recommendations to City Council on all matters raised by the Committee or Council regarding the socio-economic development of the Township of Potton.
The Socio-Economic Development Committee is composed of the following members:
• Jacques Marcoux, president
• Michael Laplume
• Eddy Mierzwinski
• Daniel Giroux
• Jacques Ducharme
• André Jauniaux
• Stanley Lake
Sustainable development advisory
The Sustainable Development Advisory Committee is responsible for reviewing and making recommendations on any environmental project submitted by the Council. It is also called to address issues that it believes need to be considered for recommendations to Council.
The following committees are established by Council resolution to make recommendations or comments in a specific area; there is no fixed term. Such committees cease to operate when the municipal Council decides to put an end to their existence.
Members of the Committee:
– Christine Beaudinet – firstname.lastname@example.org – term January 1, 2020
– Francine Hemmings – email@example.com – term January 1, 2021
– Carole Delaître – firstname.lastname@example.org – term January 1, 2021
– Lucie Blanchard – email@example.com – term January 1, 2020
– Jason Ball – firstname.lastname@example.org – term January 1, 2020
– Catherine Beaudoin – term January 1, 2020
– Cynthia Sherrer – email@example.com – term January 1, 2021
Urban planning advisory
Composed of nine members, two elected officials and citizens representing the seven geographic areas of the municipality and assisted by the municipal urbanist. This advisory committee issues recommendations on all applications for minor derogations and, among others, for permits in areas aimed at the PIIA Program (Plan d’implantation et d’intégration architecturale) and on conditional usage. This committee is also invited to make recommendations to council on territorial planning.